Friday, July 24, 2009

Romance University Column Today

Today's substantive post is brought to you by the letters R and U.

Over at Romance University, we're talking about one method to avoid an info dump in the first chapter by focusing on conflict. Unless I'm mistaken, the question came from one of our edittorrent readers.

This RU thing is going to be a regular monthly column now. If you have a question you'd like me to tackle over there, they've set up an emailbox that routes to me. Naturally, I can't remember that address, but it's on the RU website somewhere.

Theresa

4 comments:

Wes said...

Super post on RU, Theresa.

Julie Harrington said...

That was me! :) I swear, the opening chapter to this story is giving me kittens. Rewrote it 3 times. *sighs* It'll get there, I know it will, and the RU article helped me a lot and totally identified the problem (and the reason behind it) that I was having. People keep telling me to skip the first chapter and go back later but I'm not that kind of girl. I'm a plotter. I need that first chapter right before I can plow forward. Grrrrr. Very frustrating. So thank you for tackling my question. :)

And the address I wrote to was: askaneditor@romanceuniversity.org

JT

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

A great post! Thank you. I need to add a bit more conflict ...

Riley Murphy said...

Great post on RU, Theresa! I'm just catching up.